41204 Ida-Viru maakond
27.493530213832855 , Lat:
Set in the midst of forests and mires, Illuka Manor has been dedicated to educating children ever since Baron Claus von Nottbeck sold the manor to the state in 1921. The main building was completed during the second half of the 19th century, an era full of all sorts of “neo” revival styles. It was designed by a master builder from Germany, Friedrich Modi. The school, which won the title “Beautiful Estonian School 2005,” integrated its needs well with its historical environment. Unexpected finds were made during the restoration: a manorial-era limestone sewerage pipe, a septic tank with a vaulted ceiling and well were found. A human skeleton two centuries old was found in the cellar – presumably it found its resting place there even before the manor house was built.